The year is 1985. The setting is a bar in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I am at a bar with a friend,… this story could have a sad ending, but it doesn’t.
I won’t bore you with this story now. I’m saving it for later this year. But a new family was created, and that is why I chose this particular year. It is the year the greyt spouse and I met and married and joined our family of 4 children (2 for each of us) together.
I heard about temperature blanket on a chat group for knitters and thought it would be fun to make. The idea being that you knit one row per day according to the temperature of that day. It could be for the current year or one of your choosing. You could do the high temperature, low, or the mean temp for that day. Or you could double knit with high on one side and low on the back side. I want simple, so I am using the high temp for each day. I spent several weeks in January finding the high temperatures, choosing colors, making a temp graph chart, and deciding on a pattern for the blanket. After hours of decisions I chose: chevron for the blanket pattern, a simple pattern because of the continuous color changes and the colors and temperature ranges of the National Weather Service.
For those of you familiar with the chevron pattern, depending on the pattern you chose, you may have gaps on either side of the increase stitches. The pattern I chose decreased those gaps by purling through the back of the yarn over stitch. However, that did not look right to me either. When you looked at the front, the left side increase looked smooth and blended naturally. But the right side, just looked like I was doing something wrong.
So I started experimenting. I came up with two options, which if you are a non-knitter readingthis may bore you. So you have my permission to skip past options #1 and #2.
Option #1. On right side. Knit to marker, do a reverse yarn over (back to front), slip marker, knit 1, yarn over, continue pattern. On wrong side, purl to first yarn over, purl through back loop, purl, slip marker, purl next yarn over through front loop, continue with pattern.
Option #2. Right side. Knit to marker, sm, k1, yo, continue in pattern. On wrong side, purl to 1st yo, ptbl, p1, sm, pick stitch up on left needle from back to front, purl through front loop, continue in pattern.
Both options make a cleaner look on front side with very little gapping at the increase sites. Also, the right side increase has the correct twist so it looks like it has been done in the correct direction to follow the other stitches. I also noticed that the increases take on the same look asthe decreased mitered stitches.
I don’t know if this is a new idea. I searched a few chevron patterns and did not see this. But I am quite proud of myself. My knitting skills seem to be developing more all the time.
So far, I have completed the month of January and part of February. The months are seperated with black yarn. The day the greyt spouse and I met and married have some iridescent threads mixed in. And since it is a family temperature blanket, our birthdays and the birthdays of our four children will also be highlighted with iridescent threads.
HAPPY KNITTING AND BLOGGING.